Diabetics often have to make significant changes to their diet, including giving up sugary drinks. However, staying hydrated is crucial for managing blood sugar levels. Here are 10 drink options suitable for diabetics that can be easily found or made at home, regardless of the season.
1. Coconut water - low in calories and high in nutrients and minerals, including potassium, electrolytes, vitamin B, and amino acids. It can also improve digestion, skin health, and immunity.
2. Chaas (Buttermilk) - a dairy-based drink that doesn't require sugar or sweeteners. Spices like cumin and ingredients like ginger and coriander can be added to enhance its nutritional value.
3. Sattu Sharbat - made with roasted chana, jeera, ginger, red chilli powder, mint, and black salt. These ingredients are good for balancing blood glucose levels.
4. Barley Water - barley has a low glycemic index and can be added to your diet in several ways, including as a beverage. Barley water has many advantages for your body, apart from blood sugar management.
5. Karela Juice - bitter gourd juice contains compounds that can help manage blood sugar levels naturally. It is also low in fat, calories, and carbohydrates, making it a weight-loss-friendly drink.
6. Amla Juice - Indian gooseberry has a low GI and is rich in vitamin C. It also contains chromium, which regulates carbohydrate metabolism and makes the body more responsive to insulin.
7. Methi Water - fenugreek seeds are excellent for regulating blood sugar levels and may help tackle insulin resistance.
8. Cinnamon Water - cinnamon has antioxidant and immunity-boosting properties and can help with cholesterol problems.
9. Green Tea - one of the best tea options for diabetics, green tea has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels.
10. Water - staying hydrated with plain water is always a good option for diabetics.
Regardless of the season, diabetics have several drink options to choose from to help manage their blood sugar levels.